Why Study Mathematics?
Broadly applicable in both traditional and modern career fields, a degree in mathematics provides a solid foundation in creative problem solving, abstract reasoning and much more. As a math major at UW-River Falls, you’ll develop and hone your math skills through high-impact experiences including undergraduate research, math competitions and professional networking.
Skills and Learning Outcomes
- Apply fundamental concepts of algebra, calculus and discrete mathematics to solve mathematical problems.
- Employ a wide variety of mathematical concepts to solve problems.
- Communicate effectively in both oral and written forms.
- Utilize appropriate technology to solve mathematical problems.
- Cultivate and demonstrate knowledge in a specialized mathematical area.
- Interpret mathematical essays and valid mathematical proofs.
Types of Courses
- Applied Statistics
- Discrete Mathematics
- History of Mathematics
- Linear Algebra
- Mathematical Modeling
- Mathematical Programming
- Programming for Engineers
The UWRF Mathematics Department is committed to helping you succeed and access to faculty is a key component of our philosophy. Many faculty have study spaces directly outside their offices, providing convenient access to professors. The department is also home to a Math Study Room perfect for peer collaboration and a Math Help Center staffed with upper level students who provide assistance and insight to first and second-year math students.
A degree in mathematics opens a wide variety of doors for your future career! Some examples of jobs you may want to pursue include:
- Business, Computer Systems or Data Analyst
- Software Engineer
- Teacher, Instructor or Professor