Why Study Outdoor Education?
UW-River Falls offers a minor in outdoor education for students interested in utilizing outdoor and adventure experiences to promote both personal growth and group development. The program provides a broad foundation of courses, activities and hands-on learning experiences in a variety of outdoor and adventure settings.
Skills and Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate knowledge of safety and risk management best practices, as well as outdoor education learning theories.
- Hone broadly applicable lifetime skills including leadership, facilitation, decision-making and communication skills.
- Develop professional ethics, understand the importance of sustainability and respect for concepts like Leave No Trace.
- Foster your connection to nature and acquire or improve a wide breadth of outdoor skills.
Types of Courses
- Backpacking/Wilderness Awareness
- First Aid and Basic Life Support
- Foundations of Outdoor Leadership
- Leadership in School-Based Adventure Education
- Outdoor Education Winter Concepts and Skills
- Recreational Climbing
- Sport, Fitness and Recreation Management
- Techniques in Sport Fishing
“The outdoor education program prepared me to pursue teaching within and beyond the classroom. The interpersonal skills I gained from the program made me a better teacher and leader. Today, I am a high school social studies teacher in rural Alaska. This year I started an Outdoor Adventures class that gets students learning beyond the traditional brick and mortar setting. Just like the outdoor education program was the highlight of my undergrad, teaching Outdoor Adventures is the highlight of my school day.”
- Ashley Kramer ‘19, broad field social studies major, outdoor education minor
A minor in outdoor education is an excellent complement to many majors, including health and physical education, exercise and sport science, conservation and environmental planning and more. Depending on your interests and major, you may find work in a variety of roles, including:
- Adventure-Based Counselor
- Camp Staff
- Outdoor Education Instructor
- Outdoor Skills Trainer
- Trip Leader/Outdoor Guide