Why Study Horticulture?
A multi-faceted field, horticulture studies the sustainable use of plants to improve the world and human well-being by generating healthy foods, protecting and restoring the environment and creating functional and attractive landscapes. You can choose from three options to focus your studies and hone your interests: landscape design and management, fruit and vegetable sustainable systems or a professional option.
Skills and Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate a working knowledge and appreciation of the diversity of plants, their culture and utilization.
- Communicate effectively with a broad range of audiences.
- Synthesize, integrate and apply information to solve horticultural problems.
- Apply horticultural principles for the successful growth and production of plants.
- Cultivate and hone critical thinking skills and ethical standards.
Types of Courses
- Fruit Science and Production
- Herbaceous Perennials
- Greenhouse Management
- Interior Plantscapes
- Plant Propagation
- Sustainable Landscape Design
- Turfgrass Science and Management
- Woody Landscape Plants
“I would honestly say the horticulture program is one of the most inclusive, friendly, and generous programs on campus, if not the most of all three. The courses are all taught by enthusiastic professors who have all become close friends of mine. The professors are engaging and extremely well-versed in the topics that they teach and will always encourage questions to be asked. I have found that if I ask a question and my professor does not know the answer, they will make sure to find it out so the class can learn even more.”
– Emily Kolbe, horticulture major, Spanish minor
Horticulture graduates are prepared for a wide variety of roles in an in-demand field, including:
- Athletic Turf Specialist
- Greenhouse Grower or Supervisor
- Hydroponics Technician
- Landscape Designer or Interior Plantscaper
- Municipal Horticulturalist or Urban Forester
- Orchard or Vineyard Manager
- Plant Breeder or Post-Harvest Physiologist
- Wholesale or Retail Florist